In the beginning (1914)

Avondale was a small farming town nearby Kansas City. The history book of AUMC describes it like this:


"Four of five houses, one little store, and a box car railroad station were situated on the side of one of the bluffs. Rock Creek meandered through the bottom of the valley and emptied into the Missouri River a few miles from where the bustling cattle town of Kansas City was well on its way toward becoming a prairie metropolis. Some of the well-to-do folks from Kansas City had established summer homes on the fringes of the wooded and hilly community."

(“Remember, Renew, Rejoice: Avondale UMC  – 100 years” page 7)